Many of our customers have common questions. Before calling, feel free to look through some frequently asked questions below.
MATS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to provide affordable and reliable vehicles for Christian ministries and their staff. We have three main areas of service:
1. Domestic Purchasing – As a trusted partner, MATS can make purchasing a vehicle stress-free through our unique process that allows us to locate the exact car you desire through a variety of resources. Through our partnership with wholesale suppliers across the county, MATS is able to locate and purchase almost any make and model of vehicle for you. Fill out a vehicle request form here to get started.
2. International Purchasing – Strategic partnerships with manufacturers allow MATS to help you import brand new vehicles directly from the factory at great prices to mission and humanitarian organizations in the field. Fill out a vehicle request form here to get started.
3. Short-Term Leasing – MATS Leasing service helps to meet your short-term vehicle needs in the U.S. If you are a missionary looking to lease a car while on furlough, or your organization is in need of vehicles for short term use, we can help! Fill out a vehicle request form here to get started.
1. You contact us and indicate what service you are interested in. Fill out a vehicle request form here to get started.
2. One of our Sales Representatives connects with you to gather information on exactly what you are looking for: vehicle type, model, budget, features, etc.
3. We begin searching for a vehicle that matches your criteria through a variety of sources including wholesale suppliers and our partner dealership. Our current inventory can be found here. You are NOT restricted to what we currently have available in inventory.
4. As we find vehicles that meet your criteria, we email you the details (year, mileage, exterior/interior color) and photos of the vehicle.
5. When you decide on a particular vehicle, we purchase it on your behalf and it undergoes inspection (if it’s not already in our inventory).
6. After the vehicle passes inspection and we have received your payment for the vehicle, we send the paperwork and a temporary license plate to you, as well as make arrangements for delivery or pick up of the vehicle.
Our desire is for you to have full confidence in the vehicle you purchase. Vehicles purchased through our wholesale partners go through three types of inspections:
Pre-auction inspection report – this report discloses any damages to the vehicle, severity of damages, and gives an overall rating of the vehicle’s condition.
Post-auction mechanical inspection – this inspection checks for mechanical problems, and if problems are found the auction will cancel the sale.
MATS independent inspection – we perform an additional inspection once the car passes both of the previous inspections and is brought to our vehicle services location in Richmond, IN.
If you are buying a vehicle from our inventory in Indiana, yes. If we are getting it at another dealer or at an auction, we are not able to facilitate a test drive but we will have a pre-sale report with interior and exterior pictures along with all of the relevant information about the car for you to review.
We make every effort to catch any issues with our vehicles. There is a post-sale inspection done immediately, and then our experienced mechanics perform detailed inspections after the car arrives to our facility. However, used cars are never perfect and sometimes subjective minor issues/wear and tear will either be missed or left alone intentionally if in line with the age/mileage of the vehicle. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your vehicle after you receive it, please let us know as soon as possible and we will work with you to resolve your concerns.
Our desire at MATS is to work with all customers and budget RANGES. However, if your budget is under $7,000, please keep in mind that it is challenging to find reliable vehicles in this price range. A vehicle under $7,000 will most certainly have higher mileage and often more issues. If your budget is under $7,000 we recommend checking out our inventory to see what we currently have available (www.mats.org/inventory).
MATS has a financing partner that provides great options for our clients. We are happy to facilitate financing through our preferred lender, or you many finance on your own. Rates will depend on your credit score, length of loan and year of vehicle. The application for financing is www.mats.org/creditapp.
There is no fee for MATS to help you find a vehicle. In addition to the price of the vehicle, other costs include:
MATS is a self-sustained, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Because of the unique nature of our operations, our low overhead costs and the trustworthiness of our partners (you!), we are able to sustain our ministry by making small amounts of operation funds on each sale.
With your commitment to purchase a vehicle, we ask for a $500 non-refundable deposit. Once the deposit is placed, we remove the vehicle from our available inventory and commit to sell it to you and not sell it out from under you to another client, so we ask that you honor your commitment to purchase that particular vehicle.
Sales tax is never included in the price quoted to you by ours MATS representatives.
You will pay sales tax (percentage varies by state) at your local BMV when you register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase. The only time you will pay sales tax to us is if you pick up your vehicle in Indiana.
Factory Warranty – Most vehicles have 3 year / 36,000 miles, but some now have 4 year / 50,000 warranties. In this case, any car you buy from MATS that is within these parameters is covered bumper-to-bumper at 100% of any problems. The major things not covered by most factory warranties are maintenance items like: brake wear, tire wear, or accident damage. Some manufactures have longer warranties than this on powertrain items like engine, transmission, and drivetrain.
MATS 30 day 50/50 warranty – All vehicles that MATS sells that are out of factory warranty come with a 30 day / 1,000 mile 50/50 warranty. In other words, if something breaks on the vehicle within 30 days, MATS will work with a local mechanic to get the repair done as affordably as possible, and cover half of the cost.
Extended Warranties – As much as we inspect and look over a vehicle, issues can still arise. Vehicles are complex machines with thousands of parts that break or wear over time. One way to protect your investment and provide peace of mind is with an extended warranty. MATS can sell you an extended warranty and those options will be given at the time of purchase.
MATS does take trade-in vehicles. The value we can offer for your trade-in is determined on a case-by-case basis and depends on the make, model, year and mileage of the vehicle, along with any cosmetic or mechanical issues it may have.
The term “certified” is used often by car dealerships. Certified means that a vehicle has been inspected and has a warranty. We don’t use this term since our process is different than a traditional car dealership, although we do have an extensive inspection process and in some cases can offer or facilitate warranties.
Yes, MATS’ vehicle service center offers after-market installations like leather interior, DVD player, cruise control, smart phone and MP3 adapters, heated seats, tinted windows, modified rims or tires, bed liners, trailer hitches and roof racks. If you have a specific request we would be happy to put together a quote for you.
Once we receive your signed paperwork and payment for the vehicle, we will mail the title to you. It typically takes about two weeks.